Cherry Hill Park


 GO TO Access Sites Hazard Sites Heritage Sites

 

 Images:

Click on image for high resolution image. High resolution images may be slow to load and/or incur data charges from your provider. Use your “back” button to return here.

 

Cherry Hill Park Sign

Cherry Hill Park Sign

P F Olds Advertisement

P F Olds Advertisement

 

Cherry Hill Park is the site where R.E. Olds developed his automobile.  He was in business with his father, Pliny, and brother, Wallace, in a small shop here making stationary steam engines after moving here from Ohio in 1880.

 

 

PF Olds Shop

PF Olds Shop

 

The small business was a success and expanded significantly in 1896 with the manufacture of gasoline engines.

 

 

 

Olds Steam Powered Carriage

Olds Steam Powered Carriage

 

The Olds Engine Works got a boost with national exposure from Scientific American in 1892.  The steam powered carriage, said Olds, “never kicks or bites, never tires out on long runs . . . does not require care in the stable, and only eats when on the road.”

 

 

 

Olds Engine Works - 1903

Olds Engine Works – 1903

Site of Olds Engine Works - 2015

Site of Olds Engine Works – 2015

 

Citing differences of managerial decisions, RE Olds left Olds Engine Works in 1904.

 

 

 

Oldsmobile Complex - 1966

Oldsmobile Complex – 1966

 

Oldsmobile became part of General Motors in 1908.  At its peak in 1966 Oldsmobile had a mega-complex East of Logan Street (now MLK) on the banks of the Grand River.

 

 

 

The Olds Memorial near Kalamazoo St. and River St.

The Olds Memorial near Kalamazoo St. and River St.

 

Near this site in 1886 Ransom Eli Olds designed, built, and first drove a steam powered horseless carriage.  In 1893 he brought out his first automobile using gasoline engine power.  In 1897 he organized the Olds Motor Vehicle Company and produced a car named the Oldsmobile.  In 1901 he first applied mass production methods to automobile manufacturing.  In 1904, having retired from the Olds Motor Works, Ransom Eli Olds was persuaded by friends in Lansing to organize the REO Motor Car Company.  The name being formed from his initials.  The monument is at N42° 43.779′ W84° 32.892′.