State Holiness Association Church Camp


 GO TO Access Sites Hazard Sites Heritage Sites

 

 Images:

Click on image for high resolution image. High resolution images may be slow to load and/or incur data charges from your provider. Use your “back” button to return here.

 

The Lansing District Camp Meeting Association was formed in Lansing and moved to Eaton Rapids in 1885. It was renamed the Michigan State Holiness Camp Meeting Association. 33 acres on Grand River were purchased in 1899 and a tabernacle built in 1886. [In 1980 there were] 75 cottages, two hotels, camping facilities, dining hall, Epworth League building, Callen Memorial and an auditorium seating 300.

Grace Hotel

Grace Hotel, built in 1900, at a cost of $400

The paddle-wheel steamer “Stirling” made the half mile trip during Camp Meeting several times a day in the earlier 1900’s as well as excursion trips during the summer months. A flat bottom scow to seat 40 was made to be pulled along back of the steamer but it met with disaster in the middle of the river and the idea was abandoned. A second boat was put in service carrying 20 but the propeller tangled with weeds. A ferry operated by Frank Rice made the trip across the river from the campground to the road to pick up those coming in from the south and leaving their teams in that area.

Church Camp

Old Postcard of Church Camp – Courtesy Deb Malewski

The steamer is gone and the ferry. The horse corral, in disuse, has been removed, but each year sees the return of hundreds in mobile homes and tents, to attend Camp Meeting at this beautiful spot.

–Squires, direct quotation, p. 102

The object of this Association shall be the conversion of sinners and the promotion of Scriptural Holiness. In doing so, the Association shall encourage and provide inspiration and opportunity for the experience of a personal commitment to the Lord Jesus Christ, and support the closest possible cooperation among all friends of Scriptural Holiness.